Friday, August 20, 2010

Adolescence 1

I put a 1 at the end because I'm sure there will be more!

Two adolescents

We have two adolescents in our home right now, a boy and a girl. Our boy is the oldest but as nature dictates, is now shorter than his sister.

He has taken it rather well. We started to prepare him years ago for the fact that his sister will be taller than him-- for a time --then a growth spirt will come and he will be taller again. (He hopes anyway!)

We did however, neglect to prepare for the hairy underarm race. We never thought that our girl would have fur under her arms before her brother but a few weeks ago I had to give her a 'class' on shaving her armpits.

I never thought about the boy's reaction until the other day. He told me, "Her being taller doesn't bother me as much as her having hair under her arms!"

After that he must have been on the look out because, he happily told me later that he can't SEE the hair, but he can PULL it. (Ouch!!)

Now he's sure he can see it. I think it's there too, my eyes are just too old to focus on it. :)

Sharper still!

I previously wrote how sharp my daughter was getting, here's more proof:

The other day the boy stole the girl's bracelet. He came running upstairs with it on his wrist and wanted me to hide it. Being the good mother I am, I said,"Hurry she's coming!"

He gave it to me then hid. She came into the room and asked where he was. Before I could answer, her eagle eyes spotted him.(his foot sticking out from under the bed may have helped)

An interesting conversation then began.

Girl:" Give me my bracelet!"

Boy:"I don't have it!"

Girl: "Where did you put it?!"

Boy:"I'm not telling you!"

Girl:"Mom, where's my bracelet?"

Mom:"I can't tell."

Girl:"Boy, where did you put my bracelet!?"

Boy:"I'm not telling you!"

Not getting anywhere, she pauses.

Girl:"I've got it!"

Boy:"No you don't"

Girl:"Yes I do it's on my wrist!"

Boy:"Mom! Did you give it to her?!"

Mom:"No, but now I have to."

I gave her the bracelet, congratulated her on outwitting her brother, and died laughting.

Her brother took it well and maybe learned a lesson. I'm not sure what that will be. Maybe it will come up in another post.

1 comment: